In 2018/19, we were awarded a £55,000 Phase 1 Grant from the Mayor of London’s Good Growth Fund to:
- Establish the viability of the disused waiting room at Herne Hill Station as a resource to benefit the community and local economy
- Produce a costed proposal to convert the premises into an accessible community asset able to support itself financially
In January 2019, the lost waiting room of Herne Hill Station opened its doors to the public for the first time in over ninety years as ‘Station Hall’.
What We Did
In the first nine months of operation, Station Hall was far busier than expected –
- 456 events held
- Hosted by 79 different users or organisations
- Attended by over 5,000 people
- 60% of bookings to charity or community groups at ‘what you can afford’ or zero hire-charges.
In October 2020 Station Hall became a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) and is now a separate entity from the Herne Hill Forum.
The Station Hall project at Herne Hill station has been an excellent example of the benefits to local communities of a public and private sector partnership strongly led from the local community itself. The Herne Hill Forum have provided excellent leadership and project management to the scheme so far and have proved an invaluable link into the many local community groups who have used the facility.
David Statham, Managing Director, Southeastern