- 1 of 122
The Restart Project encourages and empowers people to use their electronics longer. They hold pop-up events once a month in Brixton and in Camden, but also give talks including at universities and conduct workshops - including this weekend at the Sunday Market!
This is what they say about themselves and why they started out a year ago;
- Watching people discarding devices because they ran “slow”.
- Watching people upgrade by simply buying new phones every nine months.
- We started asking ourselves: have we become passive consumers of technology? Have we lost our “repair muscle mass”?
- What was troubling us more and more was not actually injustice and struggles of the “underdeveloped” places we worked in, but instead the attitudes and behaviours of people here back in our northern homes.
- We have worked cumulatively for 15 years in places where communications technology can make a massive difference – where simple mobile phones can often literally save lives in everyday situations. And we’ve seen that people relate with gadgets and technology in a completely different way in most of the places we worked – people have a greater sense of control and ownership over technology and a resilience in the face of problems. Everything is hackable and fixable.
The street furniture design project is a Herne Hill forum initiative to get local people to contribute their design ideas to some street furniture that we will be having built for Station Square. Perhaps something like the above images that combine planters and seats for the area or something even more creative?
We are after your ideas as to how they should look.
What should they have, coffee cup holder? Chess board? Foot rest? It is all up to you.
There will be a very hands on workshop on Sunday 19 May at the Sunday market where bits of wood will be flying around, children painting their ideas and lots of proto-typing. Once the proto-type has been designed it will be drawn up and then manufactured for everyone to enjoy in the years to come.
Make your stamp on the area, create your environment.
Windrush Aquathlon is at Brockwell Lido and Park on 2nd June. A very inclusive and fun race where participants swim 500m in the lido and then run 5km around the park. Every finisher receives a t-shirt and medal. There will also be a junior race over shorter distances. Entries close in 2 weeks! www.windrushtri.co.uk/page/windrush-aquathlon
- 1 of 122